The Old Courthouse, FREMANTLE
The Original Courthouse was built in 1899, designed by the Public Works Department. The Old Courthouse is positioned on Henderson Street, along with the Police Station Complex and Warders Cottages formed part of the original convict land grant that was established as part of the Fremantle Convict Establishment in 1851.
In 1999 the Old Courthouse closes, followed by the Fremantle Police Station in 2013, and was predominately vacant, the buildings are listed by the State Heritage Dept, and prepared for public offering. Our Client, Silverleaf Investments purchased the Police Station, Courthouse, Warders Cottages and surrounding buildings and land within the complex in circa 2017, from the State Heritage Office. With the intention to redevelop the entire Precinct into a Hotel, Restaurant and Retail hub, conserving the Heritage nature of the buildings and surrounds.
Stage 1 of this master project consisted of Re-development of the Old Courthouse Buildings into a bar and restaurant, along with construction of a new Pavilion Bar wing with Alfresco, and outdoor entertaining areas. The courthouse complex included a Police court, Civil Court, rooms for judge, magistrate, jury, Male and female witnesses, solicitors and two general offices, lock-up of two cells with charge room and exercise yard.